Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Preparing for the Journey

Swinging High

The countdown has begun!  Caroline has 20 days until her cast and it is a bittersweet 20 days.  I am trying to prepare, learn, organize the best I can, but I truly don't feel like I will be ready until she comes home in the cast.  

I am starting to equate the cast to having a baby.  You prepare as much as you can and learn as much as you can, but in the end, you know it is going to suck.  You are going to be tired, frazzled, and emotional.  A lot of stuff you do will be trial and error.   With that said, you want that day to come as fast as it can because you know those first months will be trying, but after those first months, it is amazing.  

These next few months are going to be so hard.  I get sad just thinking about sending her back to the operating room with a nurse and her realizing that I am not with her.  I get sad knowing that I won't be able to comfort her by holding her the ways she likes.  I am sad knowing she is going to feel horrible after the anesthesia or possible open reduction. I am just sad.  But, I am happy knowing we are preventing her from having hip surgery or replacement at the young age of 30.  I am happy knowing that she will be able to crawl and walk without pain or limping.  I am happy knowing that we are doing the best for Caroline no matter how hard it is or will be. 

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.  ~Mother Teresa

I found this awesome Hello Kitty Duck Tape at Target today.  A total score since you have to buy 6 of them on Amazon.  
Hello Kitty

1 comment:

  1. HI Dana - Thanks so much for commenting on my blog tonight! Your daughter is beautiful - those eyes!!!
    Can I get your email address? I'd love to send some of Ellie's spica dresses to Caroline if you think they might fit (because a girl should be well dressed in a spica! :) And I have lots of tips to pass on! :)
    It is a hard 3 months - but it is manageable... and you will survive.. and you will still be able to cuddle your girl despite that cast. You will find ways to still rub her skin and hold her.
    We moved across TX with Ellie in a spica - what was I thinking? But somehow managed (by the grace of God and many friends and family who helped out!)
    Would love to visit with you and send you some spica care stuff. I have a bajillion tips that we figured out from trial and error.
    Katie
    baseballsbutterfliesblessings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete