Saturday, April 23, 2011

What A Year!

 When the heart weeps for what is lost, the spirit laughs for
     what it has found.  - Sufi Aphorism


I never would have imaged the path our lives would take one year ago today. I remember that day so vividly.  I made a random appointment for some random cramping and that appointment turned into my worst nightmare!   I went from being naive to being slapped in the face by reality in less than 20 minutes.  To be honest, I don't remember much of what was said during that appointment.  I remember the technician scanning and scanning and scanning until I asked if everything was okay.  I remember the doctor coming in and telling me that I should have additional testing because the baby had a lot of fluid behind it's neck. I remember them giving a 10% survival rate and telling me most babies don't make it past 24 weeks.   WORST. DAY. OF. MY. LIFE!

Looking back, I just can't believe I made it through those tough months.  I prayed a lot!  I prayed that God would let us keep this precious baby and that he would take away all my worry.  He did both of the things I prayed about!  After 24 weeks, my worry vanished and I really enjoyed the pregnancy.  I knew that no matter what, she was going to be the person she was no matter how much I worried.  At some points, I totally forgot that she could have Down syndrome or Turner's syndrome.


Here we are one year later with a beautiful, healthy and full-of-life little girl that just so happens to have a few things that make her completely unique.   She is a true definition of a miracle and my heart couldn't be happier that God chose us to be her parents.  I wouldn't say our days are easy or that I worry less, but seeing her smile gives me hope that the bad news is in the past and that great things are in her future! 



 God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, or sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
- unknown

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dana! I came across your blog by doing a google search :) My daughter Naomi was born on Sept 23, 2010 and has Turners Syndrome.....I was reading some of your posts and came across some that showed you were at some Dallas locations. I live in Dallas and was curious as if you did too? If so, would you be interested in meeting? Your daughters are precious! Blessings, Melinda

    ReplyDelete